An average African woman is on a “Diet in quote”. Whenever I am in the midst of my women friends in an occasion and a fanta or coke was been served, virtually all of them would reject it because it has too “much sugar” and insist on taking drinks like Schweppes or bitter lemon drinks.Well, I was actually guilty of that too until the day I read about the number of cubes of sugar contained in the so-called “bitter lemon” drinks (it was almost 2x of what we have in the fanta and coke) and I almost fainted!
I may not remember the number of cube sugar exactly but believe me, I take note of anything that has to do with weight loss and money-making strategies and I read a lot about them all, so I have decided to start taking water instead! Rome was not built in a day, you did not add all those weight in a day and you should not expect to lose them in a day either! The average slim woman does not want to add weight and those on the plump sides wants to become slim, yet we all keep adding every day, ironic isn’t it?
It is an insane person that will keep doing things the same way over and over again and expect a different result. This means something is wrong with our lifestyle and day- to- day habit. We consumed different type of herbal tea as long as it advertise “weight loss”, went on marathon jogging or registered in a gym only for us to stop a few weeks later when you get bored or got tired doing the same thing.
Well, you can keep your weight down, stay healthy and even have fun doing it with a few, simple changes to our daily habits. Here are a few tips or pointers to help you along:
- Learn to accept who you are: Don’t try to be someone else. You are beautiful and strong and smart just the way you are and perfect too! Don’t underestimate yourself just because you are thinner, fatter, taller or shorter than most of your friends or peer group. Depression only makes you gain weight faster than you think and it makes you lose your self-confidence which in turn reduces your beauty. Always remember someone out there envy the way you look and wants to be like you!
- Walk when you have the opportunity: We are all addicted to our comfort zone! I know women in my office that would rather drive or take bikes to the bank that is a walking distance from the office building only to come back and sit down again at their desk, yet we complained of adding weight constantly! Walking is a good exercise that burns fat from all over your body slowly without you getting tired easily and it would be nice break from sitting at your desk all day long!
- Take your fruits on empty stomach: Fruits should be an appetizer and not a dessert! Taking fruits after a meal leads to blotted stomach and constipation because it mixes with your food and get it spoilt. Take fruits on empty stomach and it aids your digestion quickly.Moreover, fruits has no fat and is mostly water, so it will fill you up while leaving less room in your stomach for food intake! Some researchers also said going on a fruit-fast for three days can aids healthy weight-loss.
- Avoid Over-eating: Don’t skip meals because when you do, you have the tendency to over-eat! Take a healthy balanced breakfast and lunch and very light dinner if you have to take one. Anything you eat after 5pm in the evening should be light to avoid indigestion and bulging stomach!
- Take a lot of water: Take a glass or two of water first thing in the morning .Apart from the fact that it flushes your system and makes it easy for you to go to the toilet, it also reduce the amount of food you consumed at any point in time.
- Take your meals in small plates or bowls: When you put your food in a small bowls, it looks more and helps you not to over-eat but if it is in a large plate, it looks small and you tend to go for second and third helpings before you know what is happening and you know what will happen when you make an habit of this!
- Don’t eat unless you are truly hungry: Some women eat when they are depressed or miserable and other eat when they feel “like putting something in their mouth”. Whatever reasons you want to come up with, discipline yourself and eat only when you are truly hungry and don’t eat in-between meals!
- Indulge your Cravings once in a while: You don’t have to deprive yourself of everything you love just because you are on a diet! This will make you get tired of it easily and go back to your old habit faster than you think. Take your ice-cream and cokes and fantas and rich pizzas once in a while but don’t make a habit of it and don’t get addicted to them either!
All in all, cultivate the kind of habit and lifestyle you will be able to maintain for a long time and that will do you lots of good in the long-term. Be contented with your person, have confidence in yourself and believe you can do whatever you want to do, no matter what you look like. Inferiority complex can do a very big damage to your person if you allow it, I have been there and it wasn’t a good experience but the god news is that nobody can make you feel inferior WITHOUT your consent!
Leave a comment if you love this post!